Friday, January 28, 2005

An attempt at Satire....

Since our lecture on satire I have revisted one of my favourite pieces of satire, (which I'm sure quite of few of you have also read) A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift. This being my favourite, it was also my first, and I was quite taken aback my the proposals being made in the piece without grasping their social significance. The reason Swift's satire made such an impact on me was by how creative writing can make such a political statement and impression on the general public without overtly stating the political side, rather by using rhetoric that is thought provoking as well as perhaps emotion evoking. So in response, I thought I'd take a shot at satire and see how I'd do... please feel absolutely free to rip it apart, I'd love to see some feedback!

A Smelly Proposal

Toronto’s issue of waste disposal is becoming more and more of a growing concern. A lack of space constitutes a widespread problem of waste management for this ever growing and over populated city. The other options of transporting waste to neighbouring cities being weighed and considered, it is not economical to suggest such an option. So, in an attempt to keep our city clean, without littered streets, and without the need to raise taxes, I make this proposal that I believe will settle the issue and be a cost-effective solution for Toronto’s waste problems.

Due to the recent changes or proposed changes in our public schools, Toronto’s public education now contains a void that can be filled with something that Toronto values more: garbage. Now, this void to which I am referring is that of the fine arts: the music and the visual arts that is slowly and inevitably being wiped out from the educational system. Therefore, there are now empty classrooms growing cobwebs with tubas hanging from the ceiling, long forgotten, and never to be remembered.

In the handful of middle schools, and each high school allocated to each area within Toronto, there are enough music and art rooms to at least accept half the burden of Toronto’s waste problem. The answer is quite clear: stuff those rooms with Toronto’s smelly garbage and close the doors, and Toronto’s garbage will be forgotten as fast as Wednesday night piano recitals and the gallery in the library.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home